Thomas A. Vetter
Thomas A. Vetter is a founding member of CVDL. He has represented banks and savings and loan associations throughout Missouri for 40 years in a wide variety of matters, from lender liability litigation to personnel problems and in regulatory, tax and mergers and acquisition activities. As Jefferson City is the state capital, he has also been involved in litigation involving a variety of state agencies, as well as legal problems that confront individuals, including real estate, probate, tort and similar matters.
Mr. Vetter is a native of Jefferson City, educated in the local primary and secondary schools. Following graduation from college, he was commissioned as an officer in the United States Air Force and served from 1957 to 1961. He was a member of the faculty of the School of Law at the University of Missouri from 1966 to 1967.
Active in local and state affairs, he has served as President of the Jefferson City Area United Way and the Capital City Council on the Arts. He served as President of the Supreme Court of Missouri Historical Society for 12 years. He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of Capitol Projects, Inc. (the Sheltered Workshop), and the Board of Trustees of the Supreme Court of Missouri Historical Society.
Mr. Vetter has an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings, the highest rating certification for legal ability and ethical standards.
Education: Georgetown University B.S., cum laude, 1957;
University of Missouri M.A. 1964, J.D. 1964;
University of London, London School of Economics, LL.M., 1984.
Honors: Order of the Coif, Phi Delta Phi, Lead Article and Book Review Editor, Missouri Law Review, 1963-1964; the Missouri Bar Foundation Spurgeon Smithson Award 2002.
Bar Admissions: The Missouri Bar; U.S. District court, Western District of Missouri; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; U.S. Supreme Court.
Member: American Bar Association; The Missouri Bar (Member, Board of Governors 1986-1992; Chairman, Editorial Board 1985-1990); Cole County Bar Association (President, 1972-1973); Missouri Bankers Association's Bank Counsel Division.
- Harris v. State Bank & Trust Co. of Wellston, 484 S.W.2d 177 (Mo. 1972)
- Belle State Bank v. Industrial Comm., 547 S.W.2d 841 (Mo. App. 1977)
- Community Fed. Sav. & Loan v. Director of Revenue, 752 S.W.2d 794 (Mo. banc 1988)
- State ex rel. Missouri Coalition for Environment v. Conservation Comm'n, 940 S.W. 527 (Mo. App. 1996)
- Maries County Bank v. Hoertel, 941 S.W.2d (Mo. App. 1997)
- Conservation Federation of Missouri v. Hanson, 994 S.W.2d 27 (Mo. banc 1999)
* AV® Preeminent ™ is a certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. For more information about Martindale-Hubbell peer review ratings, click here.